- REQUIREMENTS: Applications must be received between March 1st, 2018 and May 31st, 2018
- Applicants must currently be a DGA Member.
- Applicants must be 21 or older
- Two (2) copies of at least 3 samples of completed narrative content directed in the last 3 years
- Credit list and/or resume
- Accepted participants will be notified in September, 2018.
- The Program will run the length of an entire 2018-2019 season.
The Directing Initiative will select directing candidates for episodic network television and match them with directors of CBS Television Network drama and comedy series. The goal is to bridge the gap for those talented directors attempting to break into network television and create meaningful connections with producers and executives. The restructured program is looking for candidates that:
- Demonstrate a visual perspective in telling a story.
- Are able to execute the best possible performances while capturing the artistic thematic nature of a show.
- Are able to maximize every potential opportunity in enhancing the viewing experience.
Individual showrunners will mentor participants during the various stages of production. This informal observation process will afford emerging directors invaluable first hand exposure to the CBS Television network episodic directing process. In addition to getting a chance to observe the in-depth technical aspects of the process, this observation experience allows participants to begin to form relationships with showrunners, producers, network executives and other significant decision makers. The Directing Initiative is not employment. It is instead, a program of personal exposure to the process of television directing and career development. The goal of the Directing Initiative is to prepare directors for potential employment opportunities in television. The primary focus of CBS’ Diversity Institute and the Directing Initiative is to provide access and opportunities for talented and motivated diverse directors with a focus on directors of color.
Applicants must currently be a DGA Member. You must be 21 or older to be eligible.
1) APPLICATION Please download the Application Form on this page and print or type your information. Be sure to include e-mail contact information, as this is necessary for any further communication from CBS. Please do not telephone CBS. No phone calls regarding the CBS Directing Initiative will be accepted. 2) RESUME OR BIO Please include an up-to-date work resume or bio. 3) LETTER OF INTEREST Your letter should be addressed to the CBS Directing Initiative, and will be used to evaluate your personal qualifications for participation in the program. Please tell us why you should be selected as a part of the CBS Directing Initiative and what specific talents and traits you have to offer as a director on a television show. PLEASE keep your letter to one typewritten, double-spaced page. 4) SAMPLE DEMO REEL The CBS Directing Initiative is seeking creative, talented and highly motivated individuals to participate. Please send two (2) copies of your sample demo reel (on DVD format) and include a brief description of the material. Commercials and music videos do not qualify as submissions. 5) SUBMISSION RELEASE FORMS A completed, signed and notarized release form MUST be included, otherwise your submission will not be processed. Please download the Submission Release Form here. SAMPLE DEMO REELS WILL NOT BE RETURNED. All reels and any written material submitted will be destroyed once the selection process is complete.
Once application packets are complete, please send them to: CBS Diversity Institute Primetime Directing Initiative CBS Broadcast Center 4024 Radford Avenue Studio City, CA 91604 All Submissions Must Be Mailed. No Hand Deliveries Will Be Accepted. All applications must include an e-mail address in order to receive further communication from CBS. If any of the application items are missing, the submission will not be processed. The CBS Directing Initiative runs for the length of one broadcast season. Participation in the CBS Directing Initiative in no way guarantees future employment.