Content and Creativity Across CBS Divisions Highlight Progress in Equality Movement
CBS, CBS All Access and SHOWTIME® Talent Including “Billions’” Asia Kate Dillon, “Instinct’s” Alan Cummings, “The L Word’s” Jennifer Beals, Katherine Moennig and Leisha Hailey and “Star Trek: Discovery’s” Anthony Rapp Appear in CBS PSA Campaign
NEW YORK – June 3, 2019 – CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) and employees from across the Company are celebrating June’s LGBTQ Pride Month with a creative and compelling schedule of content, events and public service announcements that highlight the equality movement’s progress and CBS’ commitment to inclusivity and diversity.
“Everyone at CBS can be proud of the many ways our LGBTQ colleagues – and all of us who support them – are celebrating the achievements of the Pride movement,” said Joe Ianniello, President and Acting Chief Executive Officer, CBS Corporation.
“We strive every day to foster a positive, respectful and supportive workplace for all CBS employees,” said Josie Thomas, Executive Vice President, Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer, CBS Corporation, and National Executive Sponsor, CBS Pride, the Company’s LGBTQ Employee Resource Group. “Especially considering the 50th anniversary of the pivotal Stonewall Uprising this June, Pride Month is an important moment for us to reflect on progress made and to reaffirm our commitments for the future.”
CBS Pride, which offers LGBTQ and allied employees across the Company a chance to network as well as professional and personal development and other opportunities, has been pivotal in the planning and execution of several of the Pride Month initiatives, including the Company’s sponsorship of WorldPride NYC/Stonewall 50.
“The CBS LGBTQ community is excited for the month-long calendar of programs and moments to celebrate Pride Month and the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots,” said Court Passant, National Chair of CBS Pride and Vice President, Affiliate Marketing, CBS. “We are grateful for the Company’s and our colleagues’ support this month and all year long.”
LGBTQ Pride Month activities, programs and content across the CBS Corporation include:
- WorldPride, a historical event featuring festivals, commemoration marches and other cultural activities, will be hosted in New York City this year to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising. CBS Corporation is proud to be a Platinum Media Sponsor of WorldPride and the WorldPride NYC Pride March in NYC on June 30, the first time the event has been held in the U.S.
- As part of CBS’ sponsorship of WorldPride, the Company has produced and dedicated national and local airtime to an extensive public service announcement (PSA) campaign running throughout the entire month of June. The series of powerful PSAs, produced by the Creative Services Department at WCBS-TV and WLNY-TV in New York, features talent from CBS, CBS All Access and SHOWTIME including BILLIONS’ Asia Kate Dillon, INSTINCT’s Alan Cummings, THE L WORD’s Jennifer Beals, Kate Moennig and Leisha Hailey and STAR TREK: DISCOVERY’S Anthony Rapp.
- Smithsonian Channel is giving viewers an in-depth look at the Stonewall Riots and the history of LGBTQ life in America with SMITHSONIAN TIME CAPSULE: BEYOND STONEWALL. The new documentary premieres Monday, June 24 at 8:00 PM, ET/PT on Smithsonian Channel and will feature commentary on historical artifacts from LGBTQ allies and icons and expert perspectives from Smithsonian curators.
- In celebration of the upcoming sequel to the groundbreaking series THE L WORD®, SHOWTIME will debut THE L WORD: GENERATION Q float at the LA Pride Festival and Parade on Sunday, June 9 and the WorldPride NYC Pride March on Sunday, June 30. Series stars and executive producers Jennifer Beals, Katherine Moennig and Leisha Hailey will be present at the New York City event, along with executive producer and original series creator Ilene Chaiken, who will participate in both the Los Angeles and New York marches. Additionally, showrunner and executive producer Marja-Lewis Ryan will attend L.A. Pride.
Throughout the month of June, SHOWTIME is also sponsoring multiple Pride events including the Genius Pride Event in Brooklyn on Friday, June 7, the Femme Fatale party in New York City on Sunday, June 30 and It Gets Better events in Los Angeles on Saturday, June 8 and in New York on Saturday, June 29. SHOWTIME is also a Pride Weekend sponsor for San Francisco Pride on Sunday, June 30. THE L WORD: GENERATION Q will debut this fall on SHOWTIME.
Several CBS-owned television stations are participating in celebrations in their markets:
- WCBS-TV and WLNY-TV in New York and several other CBS-owned stations will be airing the WorldPride PSAs featuring CBS, CBS All Access and Showtime
- San Francisco’s KPIX and its CW sister station KBCW will be televising and live streaming the 49th annual San Francisco Pride Parade on Sunday, June 30. That coverage will also be live streamed by KSTW in Seattle.
- CBS Stations and affiliates across the country will be providing coverage of Pride Month celebrations in their local communities throughout the month of June.
- CBS, CBS All Access and SHOWTIME shows and talent including Cumming and MADAM SECRETARY’s Sara Ramirez will also be part of a month-long cross-platform social media campaign (#PRIDE2019). Sample artwork from the campaign featuring Ramirez and Cumming (left to right) can be seen below.
About CBS Corporation:
CBS Corporation (NYSE: CBS.A and CBS) is a mass media company that creates and distributes industry-leading content across a variety of platforms to audiences around the world. The Company has businesses with origins that date back to the dawn of the broadcasting age as well as new ventures that operate on the leading edge of media. CBS owns the most-watched television network in the U.S. and one of the world’s largest libraries of entertainment content, making its brand — “the Eye” — one of the most-recognized in business. The Company’s operations span virtually every field of media and entertainment, including cable, publishing, local TV, film and interactive. CBS’ businesses include CBS Television Network, The CW (a joint venture between CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. Entertainment), Network 10 Australia, CBS Television Studios, CBS Global Distribution Group, CBS Consumer Products, CBS Home Entertainment, CBS Interactive, CBS All Access, the Company’s direct-to-consumer digital streaming subscription service, CBS Sports Network, CBS Films, Showtime Networks, Pop, Smithsonian Networks, Simon & Schuster, CBS Television Stations and CBS Experiences. For more information, go to www.cbscorporation.com.
For CBS media inquiries, contact: